I’m off to Grenoble France to teach MBA and Masters students at the Grenoble Graduate School of Business, for the 15th year. The courses and students and teachers have changed over time, but the feeling of reward returns each and every year.
Every year, something – some little thing, some little idea, some little trick, some little correction or some little encouragement that I share will stick in the memory of a student. The biggest blessing a teacher has is when students find you years later and tell you how that little thing made a difference.
I generally teach Consultants, Entrepreneurs or Business Professionals skills to win business and succeed in careers over the long term. So as I return back for the 15th time, I am thinking about if I had 15 hours, or just 15 minutes to summarize all of those somethings from 15 years of teaching into a few things, what would they be?
Here’s a take of the 15:
- Listen, actively
- Focus on understanding, not agreement
- Align priorities with stakeholders
- Aim to win, not just to play
- Build your reputation, online
- Find alternatives
- Use milestones to adjust and celebrate
- Yes is the strategic no
- All about you comes before all about me
- Communicate in stories
- Break big problems into small ones
- Free is not a price
- Have a risk management plan
- Connect others to connect yourself
What am I missing? What has stuck with you?